Any progress? Hi Peter, How's the article coming along? The Wikipedia Astrology and Science section has gradually tipped toward a decidedly skeptic POV since you and I left that discussion to work on our articles. Despite the recent changes, it is still many times better than when we first descended upon it. I wi... Forum: Philosophy & Science Topic: Scientific proof Replies: 16 Views: 18674 Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:14 pm Jump to post
It depends on what you mean by "research". By comparing Aristotle to Galileo, I think granny may be referring to measurement, which actually does not define research alone, because research includes observation and analysis and not just measurement. For example, Aristotle collected, dissec... Forum: News, Notices, Books, Links Topic: Research backs ancient diagnosis Replies: 8 Views: 6540 Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:59 pm Jump to post
Environmental Cosmology Online Environmental Cosmology Online The book, Environmental Cosmology, which I published earlier this year, is now freely available for anyone to read online, with an option to buy a printed copy. This book was originally available online as it was being developed and was written in response to the need ... Forum: News, Notices, Books, Links Topic: Environmental Cosmology Online Replies: 0 Views: 5486 Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:31 pm Jump to post
Thanks Tom and Ficina for providing the complete and accurate story. This will teach me not to try to illustrate an idea using such a tiny snippet of a quote. If only I had made up my own example instead! :? Based on Deb's quote from Dennis Elwell: the master dodges answering the young woman hoping ... Forum: Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques Topic: Is the traditional approach too fatalistic? Replies: 68 Views: 32783 Fri May 13, 2005 10:46 pm Jump to post
It is indeed unfortunate that women were so totally dependent on their husbands in Lily's time. The woman in this case was looking at a deeper issue, and the presenting question that she asked masked a deeper issue, which I suspect Lily perceived because he changed the question. Perhaps the use of h... Forum: Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques Topic: Is the traditional approach too fatalistic? Replies: 68 Views: 32783 Fri May 13, 2005 7:12 pm Jump to post
I?d like to try to find a social and historical context for this discussion of traditional astrology and the seeming trend towards fatalism. The 1970s, when interest quickly grew in astrology, was a time of civil liberties, when self-actualization was a theme in psychology, and in sociology efforts ... Forum: Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques Topic: Is the traditional approach too fatalistic? Replies: 68 Views: 32783 Fri May 13, 2005 5:24 pm Jump to post
A bias against science by astrologers may be just as counterproductive as a bias against astrology by scientists. I think there is much common ground to be discovered. While I think it is necessary for astrology to occasionally retreat into the less objective world of myth and enchantment, it is als... Forum: Philosophy & Science Topic: Astrology, Divination and Enchantment Replies: 19 Views: 17356 Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:53 pm Jump to post
After some further reflection, I?ll try again with this topic. Although Curry introduces potentially useful concepts, they are not developed in a satisfying and useful way. The concepts he uses are drawn more from spirituality and religion rather than science and psychology. Spirituality is more con... Forum: Philosophy & Science Topic: Astrology, Divination and Enchantment Replies: 19 Views: 17356 Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:25 pm Jump to post
Oh come on! You can't concede as easily as that. I was expecting more. It's just starting to get interesting. Doesn't anyone think I'm stretching things too far? KennethM Forum: Philosophy & Science Topic: Fate and Free Will Replies: 42 Views: 26639 Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:06 am Jump to post
Hi Sungem, However if I'm going to accept (dictionary definition) as a tool, then I can't discard it simply because I don?t like the answer it gives. If the tool (the dictionary definition) doesn't work any more and it's broken (doesn't have any relevant meaning in modern usage), then yes, people di... Forum: Philosophy & Science Topic: Fate and Free Will Replies: 42 Views: 26639 Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:45 pm Jump to post
Hi Deb, Although Patrick Curry is obviously very learned, his article doesn?t have much substance and it?s very hard to get any traction on whatever ideas he is trying to get across. If I was new to astrology, this is the sort of thing that would tend to make me want to give up understanding astrolo... Forum: Philosophy & Science Topic: Astrology, Divination and Enchantment Replies: 19 Views: 17356 Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:46 am Jump to post
Hi Deb, From your description, it seems like the horary techniques you use are a bit different than what I learned, because it seems you are doing some counselling instead of just answering a question. The horary revealed where the real relevance of the issue lay, and that?s one of the reasons why I... Forum: Philosophy & Science Topic: Fate and Free Will Replies: 42 Views: 26639 Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:43 am Jump to post