RE: Inner Guide/Good Daimon

1
In Edwin Steinbrecher's Inner Guide Meditation: A Spiritual Technology for the 21st Century, I read,
Your Inner Guide is described in your natal horoscope. The Guide's Ascendant or first house (what he looks like and what his personality is like) is the ninth house of your chart. From the painting of Seth by Jane's husband (from her description to him) which is shown in early editions of The Seth Material, it is apparent that Seth is Jane's Pisces Rising third house or false guide and not her Virgo Rising ninth house guide. Her true Inner Guide would have had the power to protect her on the inner planes (perhaps preventing her untimely death) and would have brought forth information more spiritual but, perhaps, less clever and entertaining.
I believe that this explanation is based on Western Astrology (before the traditional revival).

I know almost nothing about Hellenistic Astrology. However, I have been given to understand that, in Hellenistic Astrology, the Place of the Good Daimon (Agathodaimon) is the 11th House.

My question is:

1. Do you believe the Inner Guide (as per Edwin Steinbrecher) and the Good Daimon (as per Hellenistic Astrology) to be the same?

2. If so, to which house should he/she be attributed? If not, to which house should each entity be attributed?

3. Would you use the same attributions in horary astrology?

Re: RE: Inner Guide/Good Daimon

3
Thank you for the links Jason,

One book I have found very inspiring in recent years is 'The Soul's Code - In search of Character and Calling' by James Hillman
From a resume...
Plato called it “daimon,” the Romans “genius,” the Christians “guardian angel”; today we use such terms as “heart,” “spirit,” and “soul.” While philosophers and psychologists from Plato to Jung have studied and debated the fundamental essence of our individuality, our modern culture refuses to accept that a unique soul guides each of us from birth, shaping the course of our lives. In this extraordinary bestseller, James Hillman presents a brilliant vision of our selves, and an exciting approach to the mystery at the center of every life that asks, “What is it, in my heart, that I must do, be, and have? And why?”

Drawing on the biographies of figures such as Ella Fitzgerald and Mohandas K. Gandhi, Hillman argues that character is fate, that there is more to each individual than can be explained by genetics and environment. The result is a reasoned and powerful road map to understanding our true nature and discovering an eye-opening array of choices—from the way we raise our children to our career paths to our social and personal commitments to achieving excellence in our time.
Blessings!

RE: Inner Guide/Good Daimon

4
Hi, Jason.

Thank you for your recommendations.

I have looked at both articles before. However, I did not read them deeply at the time.

Hypothetical Horary Questions

I suppose my question is more along the lines of: To which house should we attribute the Inner Guide/Good Daimon in terms of horary astrology?

For instance, we may be faced with the following questions:

1. What does my Inner Guide/Good Daimon think about this thing/person/issue/course of action?

2. Is this a sign from my Inner Guide/Good Daimon?

3. Will my Inner Guide/Good Daimon help me with this problem?

In terms of signs from the Inner Guide/Good Daimon, this would seem like a 9th House matter (e.g., true sign/dream/prophecy/vision). However, in Hellenistic Astrology, it seems that the Good Daimon is given the 11th House, whereas the Evil Daimon is given the 12th House.

Theory #1

I am tempted to say that these two attributions can be reconciled as follows:

1. The Good Daimon should be given the 11th House.

2. However, messages from the Good Daimon should be given the 9th House.

My problem with this theory is that the 11th House and the 9th House do not relate to each other in an obvious way. For instance, in terms of "messages sent by other people", we are given to understand that (1) the 3rd House is for messages sent by me, (2) "other people" are the 7th House, and (3) "messages sent by other people" are the turned 3rd House (from the 7th House), e.g., the 9th House.

Theory #2

My further theory, then, would be:

1. The Good Daimon should be given the 11th House.

2. Messages from the Good Daimon should normally be given the turned 3rd House (from the 11th House). However, this would be the radical 1st House, which has already been taken by the querent.

3. Therefore, the house usually assigned to true sign/dream/prophecy/vision, e.g., the 9th House, can be used for messages from the Good Daimon instead.

This theory relies in part upon the idea that the Good Daimon is in some ways a stand-in for God - this is why the 9th House can be used.

Obviously, all of the above is my personal brainstorming only. I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on how to answer the hypothetical horary questions listed above, however.

Hi, Ouranos.

Thank you for your recommendations.

I have heard of the book, and your recommendations may have pushed it up my to-read list.

Re: RE: Inner Guide/Good Daimon

5
Hi Neptune,

I don't think I can help you out here. Sorry. I'm not sure how to assign a house to a specific "daemon." To me, it sounds like you're asking a lot of questions that pertain to 9th-house matters.

I'd just point out that the 11th and 12th houses derive those names at least in part due to Jupiter and Saturn having an affinity with them (just as good and bad fortune, the 5th and 6th, are associated with Venus/Mars)(see: planetary joys). Do you have a copy of Deb Houlding's book Temples of the Sky? If not, I'd recommend picking it up. It's chock-full of useful information.
thoughts are just thoughts