13 by Christina Hi Tracey, I never would have guessed that bank was officially made a verb meaning ?to trust or rely on? as recently as 1962. It seems like it has just always been that way. The synchronicity perspective is interesting as well. Thanks for posting the info and observation. Christina Last edited by Christina on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total. Quote Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:01 am
14 by Christina I seriously doubt whether most of those astrologers have chosen to adapt conjunct to use as a verb. It does not matter. It is a more sensible use of the word. Equally doubtful is that when mathematicians and philosophers adapted conjunct from adjective to noun that they first contemplated the grammar. It is likely they did it because it was intelligent. Again, I think no less of astrologers. It most likely happens because of ignorance or laziness. I think it doubtful that the grammar police reproved the mathematicians and philosophers for their ?ignorance or laziness?. Why single out astrologers for derision over a minuscule language adaptation that has academic precedence and continuity of meaning? If it's efficiency we're after then we should stay with the seven letters of conjoin rather than the eight of conjunct. Using a longer word doesn?t seem very efficient. If one?s purpose is solely to save as much space as possible then a seven letter word is more efficient than an eight letter word. However, saving the most space possible is not the context. When choosing academic terminology the priority is to convey meaning, function and usage in a simplified, consistent, succinct and effective manner. Conjunct/conjunction has greater consistency and simplicity than conjoin/conjunction. It is effective. Conjunct and conjoined are synonyms (adjective). Synonyms for conjunct are also verbs: joined, conjoined, shared, united, merged. Conjunct is the only non-verb among its common synonyms. Considering the frequency by which astrologers refer to conjunctions, the verb restriction is inconsistent and attaches unnecessary complexity (inefficient). Astrology is complex enough. In general, simplification makes it easier to navigate other complexities. Overall, science views the ability to simplify meaningfully as a sign of intelligence. Assimilation of conjunct as a verb has extended too far to reverse the trend with any success, which is usually the case when an adaptation is plausible. At least, if it is official, there will be one fewer meaningless points of derision amongst astrologers (better for astrology). Over time, there is a possibility that someday astronomers will use it. Then astrologers could sit back smugly and discuss how astronomers adopted terminology from astrologers. Christina Quote Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:07 am
15 by ### Have I been defeated? Is my preferred verb a relic? It sounds like the new generation of astrologers can proudly junct hands in solidarity and wait for their impending linguistic victory. Quote Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:28 am
16 by Deb Why not accept defeat Kirk? It would be really good if astrologers had one less thing to disagree about Quote Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:42 am
17 by SaturnReturn Do any of you experience a peculiar curling of the toes when you hear that one planet conjuncts another? Are any of you past the stage of whispering the correct conjoins and now find yourself screaming it? I agree. Conjunct is an adjective. How hard is it to throw in a little verb like "is" or "are" or "will"? Conjuncts and Conjuncting are wrong. Conjunct is a descriptive term, describing the state of something. You can't simply throw an -ing or an -s to make it an action. It's sloppy English. Incorrect: Venus conjuncts Jupiter. Correct: Venus is conjunct Jupiter. Variations: Venus will be conjunct with Jupiter, Venus is conjunct Jupiter, Venus and Jupiter are conjunct, etc. I stand with you Kirk! P.S. - I heard a NBC news anchor on TV the other day say they were "efforting" to bring me more information on a story. An anchor. Quote Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:46 pm
18 by ### Deb, For a bleak moment I almost gave in to the forces of darkness, .. .. but your post and its barely concealed underlying tone of despair and surrender inspired me to continue the battle. After all, those busy astrologers will still be arguing anyway. For out of respect for astrology?s long-standing and deep connection to Western thought and civilization standards of excellence must be kept strongly in place. SaturnReturn, Keren and I will conjoin and fearlessly face Christina?s advancing unwashed horde Quote Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:44 am
19 by Christina Kirk, Not to worry about the ?unwashed? - there are no plebes on this wave. SaturnReturn Conjunct is a descriptive term, describing the state of something. You can't simply throw an -ing or an -s to make it an action. Synonyms for conjunct do exactly what you describe: joined, conjoined, shared, merged, united, combined. Drop -ed or change it to ?ing or ?s and they become appropriate verbs. The context is academic terminology, which is very different from the context of general language usage. If the context were general usage, I would agree. Btw, the NBC news anchor?s use of "efforting" may have been correct because effort is also a verb. At least, it was a verb as recently as William Lilly?s day. The anchors seem to have resurrected it from obsolescence to indicate a stronger effort than trying. If anyone can point out some astrological meaning, function or understanding that is lost or altered unfavorably, then I will hasten to reconsider my position on the use of conjunct as a verb (any Uranus-ing of Aquarius does not count). Astrological conjunctions are dynamic (of or relating to energy or to objects in motion - active). The heavenly bodies and points related are in motion. Imo, even more reason for a verb form. It is curious that sextile is not a verb but trine is a verb. Christina Quote Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:45 am
20 by SaturnReturn Btw, the NBC news anchor?s use of "efforting" may have been correct because effort is also a verb. From Merriam Webster: Main Entry: ef?fort Pronunciation: 'e-f&rt, -"fort Function: noun Etymology: Middle French, from Old French esforz, esfort, from esforcier to force, from ex- + forcier to force Although the etymology suggests that it was once a verb, just not in English. There is no entry for "efforting" - thank god. Fight on Brothers! THIS IS SKYSCRIPT! *Cue techno music and slow-motion* *Kicks Christina's emissary into a pit* Quote Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:20 am
21 by Deb Well I can't decide anymore. I started off agreeing with Kirk, but the unwashed Christina has made some good points. I don't think I've ever said one planet conjuncts another, but I have said one planet trines another, or one planet sextiles another, which I suppose is equally incorrect. Quote Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:06 am
22 by Morpheus I have to side with Kirk. There is difference between what is technically correct and what is "in-use". *Albumazar and Abu Ma'shar Bulkhi join the battle* Regards Morpheus https://horusastropalmist.wordpress.com/ Quote Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:50 pm
24 by Yikkes! Please advise which option gives "Kirkie" the biggest Kicking !! H. Yikkes! Quote Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:57 pm