25 by spirlhelix I think the thing that was confusing me on this question was the fact that I was dealing with an opposition where both opposing planets were retrograde. One wasn't a significator but I just wanted to know how this would work if it had been a significator. Hmm. I thought one of them was an outer planet (Neptune). That simplifies everything for me, anyway; in terms of collection and translation of light, since Neptune is not visible with the naked eye, he is not capable of either collecting or translating light. I don't even look at Neptune to speak of, or else I give him the same role I would give a fixed star (which cannot cast aspects to planets and also does not translate or collect light). Another reason I do not use the outers: if we used the outers, they would interfere with our interpretation of translation and collection of light between the visible planets. Hope this is useful! Regards, Pam "Id rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance" Quote Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:12 am
26 by RC spirlhelix wrote: Hmm. I thought one of them was an outer planet (Neptune). I think this is an interesting chart from the perspective of translation of light, collection of light perspective and how to interpret it in an action. I usually can figure these out but this chart was rather unique. I was ruled by Mercury and other significator ruled by Venus which was still retro at that time. Neptune and Venus were in direct opposition, same degree but 17 minutes of separating that opposition. Both were retro. The moon was moving in to oppose Venus first, then trine MC and then conjunct Neptune, and then more aspects. So I was taking Moon as a co-significator of me-querent, opposing Venus, the signifcator of the thing/action I was asking about. I thought that perhaps one would intepret this to mean that because it was an opposition, I would not be doing what Venus represented since I was opposed to it. I know when it represents two people, they usually will not agree or will not meet, etc. So applied here, I tried to intepret whether the opposition would mean, I would not be taking this action again. But then because the moon was going to conjunct Neptune, soon after it opposed Venus, and Venus and Neptune's opposition was separating but still within same degree, and only 17 minutes apart, I was not sure if Neptune's role in this was to bring these actions together somehow. spirlhelix wrote: That simplifies everything for me, anyway; in terms of collection and translation of light, since Neptune is not visible with the naked eye, he is not capable of either collecting or translating light. I don't even look at Neptune to speak of, or else I give him the same role I would give a fixed star (which cannot cast aspects to planets and also does not translate or collect light). Another reason I do not use the outers: if we used the outers, they would interfere with our interpretation of translation and collection of light between the visible planets. Hope this is useful! Regards, Pam I had never heard this - that Neptune or outers could not or weren't capable of translating or collecting light in modern astrology. I learned something new! But what I still need to work on better understanding, is IF it had not been Neptune in such a case, for example if it had been Jupiter instead of Neptune, how would/should this be interpreted? Even if a 3rd planet, moon, translates light between two retrograde opposing planets, does that mean they will come together after all in the face of the opposition? I suppose a simpler example would be if someone were asking if they would meet someone. And their rulers were like that, opposed and retrograde. Then moon comes along and joins with Jupiter in opposing Venus again. Does that mean the moon somehow brought them together in some way because it aspected both? If it were not an opposition, I would be inclined to think yes and that the moon perhaps translated a message or something between them, like a go-between between them. But if its an opposition that the moon makes to one of the significators, while conjoining with the other, I'm uncertain as to how to read that. If it were, the my simple example, a question about whether two people would meet up with each other, it would look more like the moon were joining forces with one sig to oppose the meeting with the other perhaps? If opposing Moon is touching both, one by opposition and one by conjunction how else could it be read? Or does an opposition not always keep things/parties apart? Its harder to intepret in that example. I know Lilly gives an example that if you have a querent in opposition to the quesited for example in a marriage question, the two could still be married but would live to regret it for there would forever be strife between the two. I'm not sure now if there was a tranlation of light involved in his example or not. Thanks again for all your material. I will continue to review it all! RC Quote Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:46 pm
Outers and Translation of Light: Traditional 27 by spirlhelix Hi, RC I had never heard this - that Neptune or outers could not or weren't capable of translating or collecting light in modern astrology. I learned something new! Surprised I hate to let you down, but I have to admit I am a traditionalist: at least, as far as you might call Lilly a traditionalist. I've been using Lilly for years; that's how I started using the little checklist for translation and collection of light. It's not Lilly's material, but it is very useful in following his rules. I was informed that many traditional astrologers used the same technique I described to you. I would not promise you that the opposition means you will not have to re-take the test. It could very well mean, as you said, that you would have to re-take it, and that you would not enjoy it at all. I have observed the difference between traditional rules and modern rules in interpreting horary charts by observing predictions and watching chart outcomes. I have to say I am much more impressed with the accuracy of horary predictions worked by the traditional methods. But I am not here to tell you what to think. Smile. Warmest Regards, Spirlhelix "Id rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance" Quote Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:31 pm
28 by spirlhelix Even if a 3rd planet, moon, translates light between two retrograde opposing planets, does that mean they will come together after all in the face of the opposition? Not that I can tell. I would have to search Lilly for examples in order to demonstrate this, or have a chart with these features and a known outcome. Sorry, I don't have just now. . . sigh. But if its an opposition that the moon makes to one of the significators, while conjoining with the other, I'm uncertain as to how to read that. If it were, the my simple example, a question about whether two people would meet up with each other, it would look more like the moon were joining forces with one sig to oppose the meeting with the other perhaps? The role of the translating or collecting planet is usually (in traditional astrology) understood to be a carrier, not only of the light of the planet, but also of the nature of the aspect. A happy aspect goes on to bring happy planetary light to the second significator. Grin. The same goes for an unhappy aspect like a square or opposition. Not so good for your question (but most people want the aspect to perfect, and in your question you don't). And even with translation of light, a traditionalist will require good reception between the planets and at least one planet in good dignity to make a positive prediction. I would take the Moon opposing one significator before perfecting an aspect to the other to be a translation of light, but not one with a desirable outcome because of the unpleasant nature of an opposition. So yes, as you say, some contact is carried out, most likely through an intermediary, (Moon) but all is not "happily ever after." There may be a disagreement, a fight, or both may stalk away from the meeting dissatisfied. To attempt to interpret these rules in your example, if there is opposition with reception and one of the planets at least is in dignity, you might have to retake the test--against your wishes and with regrets. If there is no reception and none of your significators (including the translating/collecting planet) is in dignity, your chart would seem to show a "no" answer. In terms of finding a clear answer, I think you are better off using chart for the question you initially asked, personally. But I thought you raised some good questions about collection of light with this example. Warmest regards, Spirlhelix "Id rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance" Quote Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:22 pm
29 by RC spirlhelix wrote:Even if a 3rd planet, moon, translates light between two retrograde opposing planets, does that mean they will come together after all in the face of the opposition? Not that I can tell. I would have to search Lilly for examples in order to demonstrate this, or have a chart with these features and a known outcome. Sorry, I don't have just now. . . sigh. But if its an opposition that the moon makes to one of the significators, while conjoining with the other, I'm uncertain as to how to read that. If it were, the my simple example, a question about whether two people would meet up with each other, it would look more like the moon were joining forces with one sig to oppose the meeting with the other perhaps? The role of the translating or collecting planet is usually (in traditional astrology) understood to be a carrier, not only of the light of the planet, but also of the nature of the aspect. A happy aspect goes on to bring happy planetary light to the second significator. Grin. The same goes for an unhappy aspect like a square or opposition. Not so good for your question (but most people want the aspect to perfect, and in your question you don't). And even with translation of light, a traditionalist will require good reception between the planets and at least one planet in good dignity to make a positive prediction. I would take the Moon opposing one significator before perfecting an aspect to the other to be a translation of light, but not one with a desirable outcome because of the unpleasant nature of an opposition. So yes, as you say, some contact is carried out, most likely through an intermediary, (Moon) but all is not "happily ever after." There may be a disagreement, a fight, or both may stalk away from the meeting dissatisfied. To attempt to interpret these rules in your example, if there is opposition with reception and one of the planets at least is in dignity, you might have to retake the test--against your wishes and with regrets. If there is no reception and none of your significators (including the translating/collecting planet) is in dignity, your chart would seem to show a "no" answer. In terms of finding a clear answer, I think you are better off using chart for the question you initially asked, personally. But I thought you raised some good questions about collection of light with this example. Warmest regards, Spirlhelix Thanks for all your feedback here. I agree the first chart is the one I should go with since it was the first time I asked. Even tho I tried to trick the stars by re-phrasing my question a little differently so that they would give me a clearer chart to read, it did not work out that way. If anything it was more difficult to read. (Must be Saturn working on me again) But I am glad for all the feedback on this last chart by 1000camels, Gunhilde and now you, because it has helped me get more info on these translation/collection as applied to opposition issues and forced me to learn more. It will be interesting to see what all this meant. As for the significators in this last chart, moon is in a fixed air sign and venus in a fixed fire sign both out of their elements with no dignities or receptions, so to follow what you said, it would lean to a No answer. And Neptune just clouds everything anyway as it did here in this matter. I am leaning more and more to the traditionalist method to just do away with these outer planets. It would sure make reading charts easier. Though I will probably always peek at what they are doing. I just don't think I could help myself. I've got too much scorpio in my 9th house. RC Quote Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:04 pm
30 by RC RC wrote:Thank you . I will print out all this & review to see what might I might have missed in my last horary example discussed. I think the thing that was confusing me on this question was the fact that I was dealing with an opposition where both opposing planets were retrograde. One wasn't a significator but I just wanted to know how this would work if it had been a significator. RC Hi Pam: I was just reviewing all of this material more carefully today: Translation of Light So, if you look at the list of aspects you have developed, it looks like this: Saturn 0 Virgo No aspect Mercury 4 Libra Sextile Moon 11 Leo Jupiter 11 Sagittarius Trine Sun 15 Virgo No aspect Venus 16 Leo Rx Conjunction Mars 19 Gemini No Aspect To examine the planets for translation of light, we look first at the Moon. For the Moon to translate light we want: 1) One of the significators to be above the Moon, and the other to be below the Moon on our list. 2) We want both significators to aspect the Moon, within orb. Question: Do you mean here that if its not within say 8? degrees (or whatever the allowable orb would be for the planet Moon?s about to aspect) then we do not allow it even if the moon eventually aspects that planet before leaving her sign? For example Moon in 6? degrees separating from Mercury who was in 4 degrees. Mercury and Jupiter are not in aspect at all. The moon makes no other aspects until it later trines Jupiter at 26?. Do you mean this would not be translation of light because the aspect it eventually made was not within orb when it left the Mercury aspect? 3) And we want The Moon to aspect no other planets before she aspects our second significator. This third condition (called prohibition) is why I decided to totally give up the use of outer planets in horary astrology. There are too many potential instances where the flow of aspects would be interrupted by the outer planets. It would affect the accuracy of our predictions. Using the outer planets, a "yes" chart might easily become a "no", or vice versa. And we should have used a question where it's one or the other; if "yes" is the correct judgment, then "no" is incorrect. If there is no translation of light by the Moon, we start thinking about the relative speed of the planets. For this part of the analysis, you can cover up the aspects you listed for the Moon above, erase them , or just ignore them. For translation of light by other planets, we need to: 1) Find a planet that is faster than both of our significators 2) Make sure that planet is listed between our two significators on the list 3) Make sure that planet aspects both of our significators within orb 4) Make sure that planet does not aspect any other planet before it aspects our second significator on the list. Saturn 0 Virgo Mercury 4 Libra Moon 11 Leo Jupiter 11 Sagittarius Sun 15 Virgo Venus 16 Leo Rx Mars 19 Gemini If Saturn and Mars are our significators, let's see if there are any planets translating light between them. Why would this be necessary, since Saturn and Mars are both in common signs? We might expect them to square one another at some point. Two things prevent such an aspect from perfecting: Saturn, the planet at lower degrees, is the slowest planet. Mars moves faster; unless he retrogrades, he is leaving Saturn in the dust and will presently move into a new sign, while Saturn will stay where he is for a long time. The second problem: the two planets are not currently within orb of a square. Because of the speed of the planets in question, assuming Mars remains direct, they never will be square in their current signs. Next, we need to eliminate the possibility that there is some other planet that will translate light between them. We will look at all the planets between Saturn and Mars on our list. First, the Moon. In her current sign, she aspects Mars, but not Saturn. No good. Next, Mercury. No aspect between Mercury and Saturn. No good. Venus? She aspects neither Mars nor Saturn. No good. Sun? Out of orb with Saturn. No good. What about Jupiter? Jupiter is faster than Saturn and slower than Mars, so he does not meet our conditions for translation of light. The aspects between Jupiter and Saturn (just within orb), and Jupiter and Mars are therefore prohibiting the translation of light in this instance. Jupiter will never catch up with Mars in their current signs (unless Mars goes retrograde very soon). Jupiter will stay near the middle of the sign he is in, moving slowly, while Mars will march steadily into a new sign. Juipter will block Mars from his intended action in this chart. So at this point, we check the ephemeris to make sure that Mars will not go retrograde soon. If not, we have eliminated all possibility of a positive answer to this question as a result of translation of light. Note: if we have translation of light, we still do not have a certain "yes" to our question. We will still want to check a few more things like reception and essential dignity to make sure the aspect indicates a postive answer. But there is no need to go into all of that just now. Collection of Light I have to run again. Back with more later! Regards, Spirlhelix Hi, RC Collection of Light Collection of light is similar in effect to Translation of Light, except we look for heavier planets instead of lighter planets to do the collecting. Here is an invented list of planets (in case you notice the signs and planets look "funny", yes, I invented them for the sake of discussion): Sun 0 Gemini Venus 1 Leo Jupiter 5 Sagittarius Mars 10 Aries Saturn 12 Cancer Moon 12 Gemini Mercury 29 Gemini Our significators are Sun and Venus. There is no aspect between them. Are you saying that because the sextile is separating? There are no planets between them, so translation of light is out. Let's try for collection of light. In collection of light, there will be two aspects that "link" our significators to a third, heavier (slower than both significators) planet. No perfect aspects to other planets can occur before aspects from both the significators have perfected. Look down the list. Can you find any planets which both Sun and Venus are applying to? A separating aspect can count too, as long the significator higher on the list is applying to an aspect with the collecting planet, while the other planet is separating from an aspect to the collecting planet. There must be no other planets which perfect an aspect with your significators or your collecting planet before the second aspect perfects. So we want: 1) One significator above the collecting planet on the list. 2) The other significator either below or above the collecting planet on the list. 3) Each aspect to be within orb. 4) No other planets which will soon pefect an aspect to any of the three (2 significators and the collecting planet) listed between the two significators and the collecting planet. Finally, in examining a real chart, we would want to consult an ephemeris or an aspectarian to make sure the aspects perfect with the timing we expect. And is there collection of light in the example above? What do you think? If you find an example of collection, you still have some work left to do to make sure of a "yes" answer to the question. You will still need to look at essential dignity and reception. Just one more step in a process of elimination! Smile. Regards, Spirlhelix I just read this more carefully today. I didn?t know I was being tested! Venus is applying to Jupiter in trine. Sun is applying to Jupiter in opposition. There will be a sextile from Sun to Mars and a trine from Venus to Mars, but the orb is too wide I think. I?m not clear on the acceptable orb under traditional method. I think Sun and Jupiter are allowed greater orbs aren?t they? But being Mars, this would be a 10? sextile to sun and 9? trine to Venus so maybe not allowed? The aspects to Jupiter by Sun and Venus are both within orb however. Is this correct? Thanks, RC Quote Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:08 pm
Translation of Light Tips 31 by spirlhelix For example Moon in 6? degrees separating from Mercury who was in 4 degrees. Mercury and Jupiter are not in aspect at all. The moon makes no other aspects until it later trines Jupiter at 26?. Do you mean this would not be translation of light because the aspect it eventually made was not within orb when it left the Mercury aspect? Yes, that is it exactly. Traditionally speaking, An "aspect" that is not within orb is not an aspect. I really don't know how that is handled in modern horary astrology. Someone had a thread on that question recently on this list. You asked about traditional orbs. Here they are: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/aspectorbs.html Lilly gives the larger orbs as: Saturn 10 Jupiter 12 Mars 7 Sun 17 Venus 8 Mercury 7 Moon 12 To use them, find your two planets, add together their orbs, and divide that number by two. If your two planets are farther away than the average of the two orbs, they are not in aspect. Wish I had time to explain why! Gotta run again. . . Warm regards, Pam Last edited by spirlhelix on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. "Id rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance" Quote Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:42 am
Re: Translation of Light Tips 32 by RC spirlhelix wrote: Yes, that is it exactly. Traditionally speaking, An "aspect" that is not within orb is not an aspect. I really don't know how that is handled in modern horary astrology. Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson had taught that the moon shows what action to expect in the matter and therefore is allowed all the aspects she makes while in the sign she is in at the time of the question up until she leaves that sign. So basically, you don't worry about orbs with the Moon except to tell time. The more aspects, the more action to expect. If the last aspect was good, it is one indicator of a good ending. You mainly look to her applying aspects to your significators though. All this time I had assumed all horary was that way. I thought the only major difference in traditional astrology was not using the outer planets. In my original chart, Sun 02:34 Leo Venus 02:53 Virgo Jupiter 10:09 Sag Moon 12:58 Sag Mercury 13:25 Cancer Mars 21:48 Taurus Saturn 25:08 Leo Moon's only aspect is conjoining the ASC and trining Saturn before leaving Sag. So Ivy (& I think all modern astrology) would have allowed the Saturn aspect. But applying traditional technique, it is 12' away from Saturn. So it would be not allowed? (The average would be 11'15 averaging Moon and Saturn from the table you referred me to.) Or would moon's separating conjunction with Jupiter allow for a larger orb, that is would the moon take on Jupiter's allowed orb ? Are aspects not in orb with the moon before she leaves the current question's sign given any relevance at all? Thanks for all your help in this. I am seeing the light at the end of my tunnel vision. RC Quote Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:58 am
Tips on Traditional Translation and Collection of Light 33 by spirlhelix Are aspects not in orb with the moon before she leaves the current question's sign given any relevance at all? I assume you mean "aspects" to the Moon which are not aspects, traditionally speaking? Nah. They aren't relevant when we interpret the chart using traditional rules. You can have perfection of aspects that do not involve the Moon, however, between two significators where neither of them is the Moon. As long as they are truly aspects (in orb), or as long as there is translation or collection of light (also, of course, in orb!). Last aspect? Could be interesting, but without any other aspects bringing your two significators together or any other means of finding a positive answer in the chart, the answer to the question is still negative anyway. Moon's only aspect is conjoining the ASC and trining Saturn before leaving Sag. So Ivy (& I think all modern astrology) would have allowed the Saturn aspect. But applying traditional technique, it is 12' away from Saturn. So it would be not allowed? (The average would be 11'15 averaging Moon and Saturn from the table you referred me to.) Or would moon's separating conjunction with Jupiter allow for a larger orb, that is would the moon take on Jupiter's allowed orb ? Correct. The aspect between Moon and Saturn is not allowed. Saturn 0 Virgo No aspect Mercury 4 Libra Sextile Moon 11 Leo Jupiter 11 Sagittarius Trine Sun 15 Virgo No aspect Venus 16 Leo Rx Conjunction Mars 19 Gemini No Aspect The Moon cannot translate the light from Saturn to Jupiter because Saturn and the Moon are not in within orb. Jupiter cannot collect the light for Moon and Saturn because Jupiter, while slower than the Moon, is faster than Saturn (See the checklist for collection of light). Hope this is useful! Warm Regards, Pam "Id rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance" Quote Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:56 am
Translation of Light Tips 34 by spirlhelix Sun 0 Gemini Venus 1 Leo Jupiter 5 Sagittarius Mars 10 Aries Saturn 12 Cancer Moon 12 Gemini Mercury 29 Gemini Our significators are Sun and Venus. There is no aspect between them. Are you saying that because the sextile is separating? No. . . I'm saying it because I made a mistake, and you caught me. Grin. I will have to adjust my made-up list. Back to you as soon as I have it nailed! Warmly, Pam "Id rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance" Quote Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:37 pm
Revised Collection Sample Checklist 35 by spirlhelix My sincere apologies for the unworkable example! Okay, I think I got it this time. This is the revised sample checklist for collection of light: Sun 0 Gemini Venus 1 Aries Jupiter 5 Leo Mars 10 Aries Saturn 12 Cancer Moon 12 Gemini Mercury 29 Gemini It shows no aspect between our significators, Sun and Venus. There are no planets between them, so translation of light is out. Let's try for collection of light. In collection of light, there will be two aspects that "link" our significators to a third, heavier (slower than both significators) planet. No perfect aspects to other planets can occur before aspects from both the significators have perfected. Look down the list. Can you find any planets which both Sun and Venus are applying to? A separating aspect can count too, as long the significator higher on the list is applying to an aspect with the collecting planet, while the other planet is separating from an aspect to the collecting planet. There must be no other planets which perfect an aspect with your significators or your collecting planet before the second aspect perfects. So we want: 1) One significator above the collecting planet on the list. 2) The other significator either below or above the collecting planet on the list. 3) Each aspect to be within orb. 4) No other planets which will soon pefect an aspect to any of the three (2 significators and the collecting planet) listed between the two significators and the collecting planet. Finally, in examining a real chart, we would want to consult an ephemeris or an aspectarian to make sure the aspects perfect with the timing we expect. And is there collection of light in the example above? What do you think? Thanks for bearing with me! Regards, Pam "Id rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance" Quote Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:49 pm
Re: Tips on Traditional Translation and Collection of Light 36 by RC spirlhelix wrote:Are aspects not in orb with the moon before she leaves the current question's sign given any relevance at all? I assume you mean "aspects" to the Moon which are not aspects, traditionally speaking? Nah. They aren't relevant when we interpret the chart using traditional rules. Pam Hi Pam: Just getting back to this again... Thanks for re-posting. Re: a Void of Course Moon in traditional analysis: If it is making an applying aspect to a planet but will not hit it exact until it changes signs, does traditional analysis use that or place any significant meaning on the fact that it is from another sign? For example, say Saturn in 1' Virgo and moon VOC in 28' Scorpio. It is a SQ, but some say moon is VOC because its not making the aspect within its sign. Its still a square though. Thanks, RC Quote Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:47 pm