109
I was hoping to find John Addey's own words on his method online.

The best I have managed to find is Frawley' s description in his Astrologer's Apprentice #10 - http://www.johnfrawley.com/#!magazine/cs5s

That issue also has an amusing article on Sepharial's methods.

The Astrological Journal Vol 2 No 2 (1960) seems to be a definitive text, but not sure if this is available online or as a back copy.

110
skyrack,

Thanks for the Sepharial link. I will read it later.

The AA Journal is (or soon will be) available online for members. It might be worth enquiring from them is the specific article is available anywhere.

Graham

111
skyrack wrote:I was hoping to find John Addey's own words on his method online.

The best I have managed to find is Frawley' s description in his Astrologer's Apprentice #10 - http://www.johnfrawley.com/#!magazine/cs5s

That issue also has an amusing article on Sepharial's methods.

The Astrological Journal Vol 2 No 2 (1960) seems to be a definitive text, but not sure if this is available online or as a back copy.
Yeah issue 10 is the one.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/314a85_5216dcf ... 4ac75b.pdf

Most of this 5th cusp method article is in his sports astrology book.

The issue is Frawley states "-and we suspect that John Addey has probably refined it considerably beyond this".

Wonder what this refining process involved?
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

112
Saturnhead wrote: Most of this 5th cusp method article is in his sports astrology book.

The issue is Frawley states "-and we suspect that John Addey has probably refined it considerably beyond this".

Wonder what this refining process involved?
I have just looked again at Sports astrology. The method is what we know, including the use of minor aspects and antiscia. Frawley then goes on to explain how to interpret the planet v horse name, including sign, house and which houses it rules. What is not clear is how much of this latter interpretation is Addey and how much Frawley.

113
Deb raised an important point earlier. She started this thread to record here own testing of horses Date of Birth in race prediction. I see no reason why, as she suggests, that this thread should not be used as a place to record tests and ideas using all methods - unless people have other thoughts. :)

The idea of a thread for a competition of regular predictions (rather than discussions to develop ideas and methods) is also good. I will happity post predictions when I can, but because of time constraints, will mainly post analysis of results in the discussion of ideas thread.

Hope that's OK.

The main thing is to develop our understanding, and enjoy the astrology as a fun subject :)

114
GB wrote:Deb raised an important point earlier. She started this thread to record here own testing of horses Date of Birth in race prediction. I see no reason why, as she suggests, that this thread should not be used as a place to record tests and ideas using all methods - unless people have other thoughts. :)

The idea of a thread for a competition of regular predictions (rather than discussions to develop ideas and methods) is also good. I will happity post predictions when I can, but because of time constraints, will mainly post analysis of results in the discussion of ideas thread.

Hope that's OK.

The main thing is to develop our understanding, and enjoy the astrology as a fun subject :)
I researched the 5th cusp method on most UK races for 3 years and remain unconvinced. I only ever broke even with it - too many placed horses.

Not suggesting that this means the system is not relevant - just my personal experience, and astrological understanding.

I prefer the race angles and POF against horse birth chart planets (not including the Moon).

I've already thrown out squares and sextiles.

Conjunctions, Oppositions and Trines seem much stronger, and I've only concentrated on races with 8 runners or less.

The data is encouraging.
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

115
The idea of a thread for a competition of regular predictions (rather than discussions to develop ideas and methods) is also good. I will happity post predictions when I can, but because of time constraints, will mainly post analysis of results in the discussion of ideas thread.
Not a competition as such, (but as it's the astrology of competitions, why not?), more one of contributors analysing various races using their same particular method over a period of time. The ultimate aim being the understanding what works and when and how.

Who knows, if there's enough commitment to it, we might just find a super hybrid method?

116
Saturnhead wrote:I've already thrown out squares and sextiles.

Conjunctions, Oppositions and Trines seem much stronger, and I've only concentrated on races with 8 runners or less.

The data is encouraging.
That confirms an impression I have got. Sextiles in particular seem unreliable in DoB work.

Also, I agree about 8 or fewer runners - just too much work with a large field!

117
Also, I agree about 8 or fewer runners - just too much work with a large field!
That's the moment you need your wits in your head, and not in your books!
I researched the 5th cusp method on most UK races for 3 years and remain unconvinced. I only ever broke even with it - too many placed horses.
Yes, that is true. How about a place pot? I suspect that the length of sign accessions may have a part to play here. For example, last November i had 14 bets and had 14 2nds. Yet in August, i picked 7 winners from 8 races at an evening Kempton meeting.

I've found that there's often a need to get creative with the 5th cusp method - as well as having a rulership book handy, access to an etymology dictionary and a trust in one's own instinct is particularly helpful.
Last edited by ModWasp on Fri May 08, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

118
GB wrote:
Also, I agree about 8 or fewer runners - just too much work with a large field!
Time is an issue, yes. There are 22 Saturday races with 8 runners or less.

For me, that is just under 6 hours work tomorrow morning. :D
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

119
astrogooner wrote: Yes, that is true. How about a place pot? I suspect that the length of sign accessions may have a part to play here. For example, last November i had 14 bets and had 14 2nds. Yet in August, i picked 7 winners from 8 races at an evening Kempton meeting.

I've found that there's often a need to get creative with the 5th cusp method - as well as having a rulership book handy, access to an etymology dictionary and a trust in one's own instinct is particularly helpful.
Interesting post, astrogooner.

I recognise the importance of intuition in astrology, but for good or for bad, I have always wanted to pursue a scientific/mathematical approach towards astrological sports prediction.

It is said, that a 75% strike rate is the holy grail in astrology. My current thinking is that in order to achieve that, I would need to concentrate on the concrete points in astrology such as planets and angles.

There is something about house cusps that niggle away at my thinking and reasoning.

Just me I guess. :)
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

120
If some form of prediction league/competition is being suggested, I'd be ok participating.

The 'technique' used by myself at present is in a state of flux and is a hybrid of the various methods described earlier, and the method used is likely to change further.

For me, all this is a bit like modern horary: A prediction is made and shortly afterwards the answer is presented to you, be it football or horse racing.

I'm just short of someone turning up on my doorstep with a sample of horse urine, and I could create a chart for this as well.

At our local group someone mentioned a book by Guy Playfair called The Cycles of Heaven, where he mentioned horses run faster at a full moon. (The question is - which horse!)