13
Considering Olivia's acute chart based on Whole Sign system:

: I used an earlier time (2:20 pm rather than 2:40 pm)
Why?
1) this is not a horary but a decumbiture (in a horary I would have used the exact time of the question)
2) this acute situation is not an injury or accident (in which case the exact time would be used): rather it is a situation which had been developing over an unknown period of time prior to the "laying down"; in all such situations I deduct 1/3rd of an hour (= to 5 degrees) from the given decumbiture time in an effort to include at least a portion of the time element relating to this "oncoming"/"developing" state ancillary to the given "laying down" time.

:angles in this chart are Asc=Taurus (27/07) 10th=Aquarius 7th=Scorpio 4th=Leo
(the sensitive degrees of all the houses = degree of asc, ie 27/07)


+Lord of the 6th (Libra) = Venus, posited in Sagittarius (fire)
+Lord of Asc (Taurus) = Venus
+Part of Peril (using Whole Sign parameters) = 20Leo08, another fire element testimony; disposited by Sun (which is posited in Sagittarius near to Venus-Lord of the Asc); note that Part of Peril is within 26 minutes of perfect conjunction with Mars: all of this testifies to the very significant feverish inflammatory quality of this acute situation; Mars also affinitive to muscular system, along with the Sun: could account for muscular pain-Mars- and weakness-vitality of Sun being involved {see under Part of Acute Sickness}
+Part of Acute Sickness (Asc+Mars-Mercury) =28Sagittarius29, another fire element testimony, this position being within 20 minutes of perfect Solar conjunction (showing that the acute situation strikes right to the general vitality); dispositor is Jupiter-same dispositor of Venus and of the Sun, these planets being in turn the lords of the Asc + 6th{Venus} and of the Part of Peril {Sun}
+Humoral analysis shows definite excess fire, with a degree of earth imbalance also present (because of Taurus Asc and Saturn-an earth element planet- being posited in the 6th house of sickness)

+Humoral therapeutic indication would be selection of air and water elements to balance the fire and earth
+Jupiter is behind so much in this chart, plus is posited in the 10th (in an air element sign), that this would probably be the key planetary quality to use in making the selection among the air+water remedies (ie, if using herbal remedies, cross the air+water herbs with Jupiter herbs: herbs common to both would then be tested for applicability); note the antipathy in the chart (opposition) between Jupiter & Mars. Sun would seem to be in need of support (Part of Acute Sickness in close conjunction) but not until the inflammatory degree (Mars conjunct Part of Peril) is substantially reduced.
+Moon is slow in course, possibly indicating slower than desirable resolution of this acute situation; therefore, Moon (water element) would probably also need remedial support, which could be freely supplied because the watery elemental quality of Moon remedies would enhance the needed air+water humoral balance.

14
I expect it will take longer than desired to resolve, too, Dr Farr (the eye infection is taking forever, and everything else is flaring up with this), and I thank you for your input.

I usually do decumbitures in whole sign too, but that's easy enough to convert from Regio.

15
Interesting to note, relative to the eye condition, that in the decumbiture the Part of Acute Sickness is right at near perfect conjunction with the Sun (eye significator), and also the prominence (and slow motion) of the Moon (the other eye significator); it is possible that the pre-existing unresolved eye condition might have impacted the vitality (Sun again) so as to allow the acute systemic inflammatory condition to set in.

16
That's what I'd thought. Even though I'm extremely immune impaired, I don't usually get contagious illnesses. High humoural immunity, no cellular immunity.

First my blood sugar started to whack, so I knew something was up - normally it's within normal range even though I'm diabetic (MEN1). Was feeling a little blech, but...that happens, and putting it together with the blood sugar, I thought it must be infection of some sort.

To keep this astrological, natally I have a partile malefic trine between Mars and Jupiter, with Jupiter in Libra and Mars at - 25 Aquarius. Malefic because Mars falls in Libra. I don't know if that's a technical term, but I've seen enough of these detrimented sextiles and trines in action that I just started calling them 'malefic'. Saturn and Mercury are also in malefic trine from Sag to Aries, and that whole mess is partile to the Jupiter - Mars thing. It starts with Jupiter in the MC, Saturn in 1, then down to Mars in 3 (in Regio) and Mercury in 4, opposing Jupiter, so the whole mess is being set off with current T-Jupiter. And for those of you who are astro-carto-graphy fans, the area I live in puts Jupiter on my ASC (definitely a mixed blessing).

Next - eye infection starts. Next - severe reaction to first eye medicine. That plus the purely infectious thing of I know I was rubbing my eyes a lot with the allergy (bad bad bad).

The new eye stuff is helping but it didn't clear up in the 5 - 7 days it's supposed to (my guess is flu + blood sugar high). And in the midst of all that, I came down with raging flu.

Saw my doctor again today, my A1C was way up (it's usually around 5, currently it's 6.7), he told me to finish the entire tube of eye oil, and prescribed another round of Tamiflu, which I dutifully filled, and I need another round of blood tests and to see him again in a few weeks.

Thanks again, Dr Farr. I seem to be flat out of everything but heating herbs at the moment, but I have a lot of medicinal attars around - I think jasmine or even rose with a bit of myrrh (jasmine's Jupiterian in Unani Tibb, at least amongst those practitioners who are astrologers, and the myrrh is a blend to ease respiratory and heart constriction) may be my best choice at the moment.

17
I did a further, more subtle analysis of the (rectified) decumbiture which I believe revealed deeper influences at work, behind the acute flu and likely having a significant effect upon the pre-existing eye condition.

(Note: I didn't know that you have a diabetic condition-but your decumbiture knew!! Cornell (Ency. of Med. Astr.) gives Libra afflicted with malefics as indicating diabetes: in your decumb. (Whole Signs) Libra is tenanted by Saturn in the 6th House of Health! Cornell also gives Jupiter afflicted, especially by malefics, as indicating diabetes: in your decumb. Jupiter is opposed by Mars; further, Jupiter's Pauline dodekatemorion (PD) at 12Sagittarius is located in the 2nd decan of that sign-Aries-ruled by Mars; these indications showing up in the decumb. demonstrate that, as you thought, the blood-sugar/diabetic underlying condition played a role in the development of the acute situation)

While the basic humoral analysis done earlier is validated by the following more subtle analysis, ie, that fire+earth are out of balance and that air+water are needed as humoral balancing elements, this more subtle analysis gives overwhelming testimony of the great emphasis upon the FIRE elemental disturbance, with Mars and Aries furnishing the principal macrocosmic malefic influences:
+PD of Asc = 22Aries54, ruled by Mars
+PD of Part of Acute Sickness = 10Sagittarius15 (fire) which is 2nd decan-Aries-ruled by Mars
+PD of Moon (significator of body; also of eye) = 14Aries45, ruled by Mars
+PD of Part of Peril = 21Aries45, ruled by Mars (this PD position is conjunct PD position of Asc)
+PD of Dragon's Tail = 4Aries45, ruled by Mars
+PD of Jupiter= 12Sagittarius (fire) which is 2nd decan-Aries-ruled by Mars
+PD of Mars itself is 16Aries06
+PD of Mercury = 28Leo15 (fire) which is 3rd decan-Aries-ruled by Mars
The massive fire/Mars/Aries subtle influence "underlying" this chart is obvious.

Adddsitionally a contra-parallel (defacto an opposition) exists between Mars and the Moon (body & eye significator)

Relative to the more chronic eye condition, the Sun and Moon (considered as eye significators) are revealed in this chart to be much affected by the basic fire/Mars excess:
+as mentioned above, the Lunar PD is in Aries, and contra-parallel with Mars
+the Moon is also in very close parallel of declination (same side of the ecliptic) with South Assellus, a star of Sun/Mars (double fire) nature with strong affinity to eye troubles of an inflammatory nature (see Robson-however please note that the severity of many of the medieval star indications need not be taken literally; nonetheless this Lunar/South Assellus parallel strongly indicates difficult eye problems)
+the Sun (as eye significator), posited in Sagittarius (fire) is in the 3rd decan thereof-which is Leo: Mars is posited in this chart in Leo.
+the Sun (eye significator) is in very close longitudinal conjunction with Acumen (a star of a Moon/Mars nature), considered (historically) to be a very significant indicator of eye problems (again, see Robson)
+ The Sun & Moon connections revealed in this chart illuminate the fundamental qualities of those astrological influences operative behind the difficult, subacute (possibly chronic) eye condition.

However, there are also a couple of strongly beneficial indications revealed in the subtle chart:
+principal of these relate to the Moon: the Lunar PD (14Aries45) is longitudinally conjunct Alpheratz, an extremely benefic star, which is of the nature of Jupiter+Venus (elementally of Air+Water, exactly the elements needed to restore humoral balance)
+the Part of Fortune is in Cancer (water), in the 1st decan-double Cancer (therefore double Moon); it is rising (Part of Sickness & Part of Peril are setting); it is in a cardinal sign (Part of Sickness in a mutable sign)
...So I submit that by following indications relative to therapeutic measures the malefic excess of fire/Mars/Aries may be modified not only relative to the acute flu situation but more importantly helping with the difficult eye condition.

18
Based upon the above indications-as an example of how one could approach a case using herbs and the Tables of Herbal Temperaments-how could one proceed? (Please note that the following is an example ONLY)

+We have determined that the humoral imabalance is of Fire (especially so) and Earth. For balance we need to input the qualities of Water and Air. But we also need to know about the therapeutic application of herbs, so as to select the herb or herbs which are humorally indicated and which also address the specific expression (clinical condition) of the individual case of imbalance currently presenting (this means that one cannot select herbs-or any other type of healing agent-ONLY upon the basis of an astrological analysis; HOWEVER the astro-analysis DOES reveal the fundamental dynamic underlying macrocosmic influences at work, and the group or class of remedies relating to those influences; then, from this group or class, the remedy-or remedies-specific to that individual case is selected)

+In this (example) case we need to look among Water element herbs and Air+Water herbs. Do we emphasize the acute flu or the underlying eye condition?
-if we emphasize the acute flu, looking in the Compound herbal table under Air+Water we find "flu" related remedies as: Blessed Thistle, Chickweed, Eyebright, Lungwort, Marshmallow root, Mullein, Red Root; in the Pure Temperament herbal table, under Water, we find only the Ayurvedic herbs Bala and Atibala relating to flu. From these herbs, taking the eye condition into account along with the flu, we find that Eyebright and Chickweed also have affinity to eye conditions; so, we would first test those herbs for use in the case.

-however, I myself would emphasize the eye condition over the acute flu because my analysis of the underlying macrocosmic influences in the chart indicate to me that-upon a synopathic, subtle energy field basis-the condition reflecting through the eye condition is actually responsible for the acute crisis of flu symptoms.

Therefore, I would examine the herbs in the Water and the Air+Water tables from this point of view, giving emphasis to the eye condition:
-in the Air+Water table, while I certainly would bring in the Eyebright, the great (homeopathic) eye (and bone) remedy Comfrey jumps out at me;
I would combine Comfrey with Eyebright (as internal remedies, probably using them at 1% concentrations called" homeopathic 3x liquid dilutions", their homeopathic pharmacopoeial names being "symphytum officinalis"-Comfrey-and "euphrasia officinalis"-Eyebright)
-Self-heal, also listed in the Air+Water table, used as FES Self-heal Cream applied topically around the eyes (not on them or in them) would also be indicated.
-From the Water table I would choose Cucumber, in this case as fresh, thin sliced Cucumber applied locally on the (closed) eye for 20 minute sessions, new fresh slices being used for each application, which I would direct to be repeated every few hours (Cucumber "poultice"-a decidedly Water-element/ Moon planetary remedy-has an ancient reputation for healing inflamed eye conditions)

In emphasizing Lunar support I likely would also consider Easter Lily (Water table) an an internal remedy in the form of Easter Lily Flower Essence (White Pond Lily, in the Air+Water table, would also be considered as an internal herbal remedy, however only if the other remedies mentioned above had failed)
Last edited by dr. farr on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

19
Olivia wrote:First my blood sugar started to whack... And for those of you who are astro-carto-graphy fans, the area I live in puts Jupiter on my ASC (definitely a mixed blessing).
I follow this medical exploration with interest and note your comments on the Jupiter-line, Olivia. Does is relate to the sugar issue? I wish you a strong recovery. My Grandmother would have recommended a drop of Brandy, if you are in the Spirit and your metabolism agrees with it. Season greetings!
http://www.astronor.com

20
Thank you both! Andrew, I'm sure Jupiter is involved in variant MEN 1, but I don't think a lot of work has been done on it, as it's fairly rare. It disrupts your endocrine and calcium metabolism, causes diabetes, and pancreatic, parathyroid, and pituitary tumours.

Disrupted calcium metabolism (hyper in my case, but if I lose all my parathyroids it'd be hypo) is rotten on so many levels I can't begin to tell you - so Jupiter's in there, Saturn, too, I think, as it kills your teeth and bones. What other planets are involved, I'm really not certain.

It's probably the only disease in history that causes you to gain weight (quite a lot and very rapidly) from being violently ill - so maybe the Moon is in there too?

Brandy sounds wonderful, but is prohibitively expensive in my neck of the woods - thanks for the thought, though. I may splurge with my tax return in January.

Dr Farr - some of the herbs you talk about are interesting. I have some training in Unani Tibb, none in homeopathy, but I use comfrey in everything from salves to soaps. I usually have some chickweed and plantain around (as an interesting aside, these were used extensively on the battlefield in America during the Civil War - all-heal, or soldier's herb, because they work on just about everything and they're so common).

No eyebright, but I do need it - way too many blindness indicators in my chart and I don't want to go there - specially not yet, if I can avoid it. And I'm certain the eye infection was the trigger.

Cucumber I can get, and water lily I've got only in attar form - that can't be used internally. But I shall muddle through.

I really do appreciate your analysis.

Happy Christmast to both of you! I'm afraid the Jewish tradition of going out for Chinese food on Christmas is going to be postponed here this year, but on the good, I've got a few days where I can rest up and do nothng - the world in Canada pretty much closes from Xmas eve to the day after New Years (with, of course, that Boxing Day sale exception). But you couldn't drag me out of the house that day of the year for love nor money!

21
Olivia: noticed in another thread you still have the eye situation; have you yet tried the herbs mentioned in my analysis? Particularly the comfrey as the "homeopathic 3x liquid dilution" (called Symphytum officinalis) How about the fresh, sliced cucumber applications (any noticeable benefit?) The local application of Self-Heal Cream (supplied by FES) around the eyes is also important, as is the internal use of Eyebright (either as herb or as homeo. 1x "mother tincture" called Euprhrasia officianalis) In Vancouver there is a homeo pharmacy called Aronson's if you have any trouble finding remedies.
It is quite possible that the satisfactory resolution of your eye condition will require remedies selected upon a purely reversal basis (homeopathic basis) in addition to those selected upon a humoral balancing basis (which latter is the basis I used for determining herbal remedies in the analysis I posted in December)
For this type of chronic analysis (homeopathic reversal basis) the latest solar return chart or progressed natal chart would be needed.

22
Oh, Dr Farr if you saw my natal and lunar return charts this month - you'd laugh.

The Mars situation is going on...and on....and on....and on. And yes, in this year's solar return - and next years - I have moon on the ASC. This year's was a real winner with a Mars/Venus conjunction on Scheat in 1, to go with it.

Not that I've been terribly mobile here to begin with, but I don't know where to get decent herbs. I used to have a friend in the UK who was a naturopath, and he could often find me things that were good quality and low cost (fixed income plus a friend had a financial disaster this month), but I've not been able to find anything here. Thanks for telling me about Aronson's - it may be beyond my means until Febxuary, though.

Cucumbers for eyes are good.

Would you like me to post the natal, SR, and lunar returns and PM them to you?

Thank you again so much for your help.

Solar return Supplemental analysis

23
The following is a brief summary of a Supplemental basis analysis of the active Solar Return (sr) chart (late April 2009-10) It is constructed with Whole Sign; it was undertaken secondary to the above decumbiture to find underlying indications which seemed to be suggested by the decumbiture. The "Supplemental" basis means astro-therapeutic analysis with the primary purpose of discovering macrocosmic indications for the selection of health-supplementing herbs and other tonifying/strengthening agents such as Schussler biochemic tissue remedies.

SR Chart Data Summary:

+angles: Asc 4Pisces10; MC 18Sagittarius49; 7th 4Virgo10; IC 18Gemini49
+Sun 0Taurus31; Part of Fortune (POF) 1Taurus48
+the (Whole Sign) 1st house-Pisces-, contains Moon, Uranus, Mars, Venus
+Taurus (3d House) contains Sun, POF, Mercury
+Leo (6th House-house of health) contains Dragon's Tail
+Virgo (7th House) contains Saturn (retrograde)
+Aquarius (12th House-house of chronic conditions) contains Jupiter and Neptune.

General Analysis:
+I immediately notice the concentration of planets in the 1st House, showing the fundamental importance of these influences upon the essence of the subject;

+Moon is here, with its indications relating to eye+fluids+female hormonal system (plus female bodily health in general); all of these 1st house planets are rolled-up in Pisces and disposited by Jupiter, which itself is posited in the 12th house of chronic conditions;

+Manilius Disease Fortune (MDF) is at 1Pisces46; this is in Pisces (impacting all planets in that sign), in partile conjunction with Moon, also in close conjunction (under 3 degrees) with the Asc. This indicates a significant affliction of the Moon (and of the Asc) (Note: the MDF is a forgotten but very important indicator of the quality of illnesses the individual is subject to; see "Astronomicon", Book 3, Chapters 2-4; also see Zoller's "Arabic Parts", appendix A, "On the Lots of Manilius")

+Jupiter-dispositor of the Asc/1st House and of all planets therein (Jupiter also disposits MC)-is posited in the 12th House (chronic diseases), in Aquarius: therefore Jupiter itself is disposited by Saturn. Saturn is posited in the 7th House (sign opposite to all in the 1st House) at 15Virgo30.

+The Part of Chronic Disease (PCD) is at 17Virgo02 (7th House): this position is within 2 degrees of perfect conjunction with Saturn, demonstrating its close connection with Saturn, and thus through Saturn with the fundamental nature of the underlying condition brought to the fore by this current Solar Return.

+Both Saturn and the PCD being in Virgo are disposited by Mercury. Thus Mercury (itself posited in Taurus-same sign as Sun and POF) is the Grand Dispositor (of therapeutic related indications) for this srChart
(Why? Mercury disposits PCD and Saturn, Saturn disposits Jupiter, Jupiter disposits MC, Asc, MDF, Moon and other planets in Pisces)

+Jupiter is also longitudinally conjunct Sadalmelik, a disruptive star of the nature of Saturn+Mercury, ie, of the nature of Jupiter's dispositor (Saturn) and of the Saturn/PCD dispositor (Mercury).

Timing Testimonies:
+This Solar Return began in late April, (lets say around the 20th), 2009; the decumbiture (above postings) occured around the 19th December, 2009. Using simple symbolic profection, can we discover any relevant time connections involving the underlying condition indicators and the externalization represented by the decumbiture?

+April 20 to December 20th counts 8 months = 8 sign positions; December 20th to Jaunary 20th = adding 1 more sign position to the previous 8 (Note: eye condition is still going on as of January 9th, 2010):

-PCD (and Saturn) profect to Taurus as of December 20th, activating Sun (eyes, general vitality), POF (person as a whole) and Mercury (nervous system, adrenals)

-MDF, Moon (also Uranus, Mars, Venus) all profect into Sagittarius (Jupiter dispositor) by the December 20th-January 20th (2010) period, ie, they all profect into the 10th House/MC area: this indicates (to me) that these elements boiled-up, rose into prominence, came to the surface, beginning at the time of the decumbiture, December 19/20th (along this line, the MC itself profects to sign conjunction-Leo-with Dragon's Tail between November 20th + December 20th, then profects into Virgo, where it closely conjuncts PCD-and Saturn-during the December 20th-January 20th time period)

-Mercury (Grand Dispositor; also PCD Significator) profects into Aquarius by the December 20-January 20 time period: that is, it profects into the 12th House of chronic conditions, to within 3 degrees of perfect conjunction with Jupiter (and thus "connecting" with all of the Chart elements disposed of by Jupiter)

I submit that these timing testimonies are suggestive of the "correctness" of our Supplement-basis astro-analysis of underlying conditions from the current srChart. Next posting will illustrate how these testimonies can be evaluated in supplement-type remedy selection.

Supplement-basis Remedy Selection

24
While the herbs determined by the decumbiture would still be indicated for the eye condition, other remedies addressing the underlying state revealed by the current srChart would be necessary {most likely} to facilitate a more effective amelioration and health improvement.

There are several methods to select remedies upon the Supplement-basis analysis. Here is the one I shall apply in this case.

+first, to select Schussler biochemic tissue remedies, I look at the sign placement of Sun (vitality), POF (support of individual as a whole) and (in this example) PCD Significator (here this is Mercury which is also the Grand Dispositor of the current srChart)
-all 3 elements (Sun, POF, PCD Significator) are posited in Taurus.
Therefore the tissue remedy = Natrum sulph. 6x (there are 12 tissue remedies in the Schussler system; each is associated with a sign of the Zodiac)

+now, to select herbal agents:
-find the sign of the POF
-find the sign of the PCD Significator
-note which planet is the PCD Significator
-determine most important afflicted planet (or planets)
-cross the sign affiliated herbs with the planet(s) affiliated herbs

In our current analysis:
+Taurus is the sign of the POF and of the PCD Significator (Mercury)
+Mercury is the dispositing planet of the PCD
+the Moon is the most important afflicted planet (why? because of its partile conjunction with the MDF, coupled with the Moon's relation to the eyes & to female bodily health in general and its placement in less-than-2 degrees-of-perfect-conjunction with the Asc)

I now take my list of (prime) Taurus herbs; crossing this list with my Mercury herbs list I get: Black Currant buds and Solomon's Seal; I then cross my Taurus herbs with my Lunar herbs list, and I get: Kudzu root and Yucca.
I check these 4 herbs in the Materia Medica and find that each of them has significant relationships to the (underlying) clinical condition which Olivia has described in previous postings in this thread.

Therefore in this example of Supplement-basis astro-therapeutic analysis the initial supplement remedies would be Natrum sulph 6x + combination (or alternation) of the herbs Black Currant (buds)+Kudzu Root+Solomon's Seal+Yucca (aka "Bear's Grass")

How long would the astro-therapeutic indications of this srChart remain valid? Until the time of the next Solar Return (in this example, until late April 2010)