Hi Waybread
Mark, I hope others on this thread have posted more to your liking.
I'm sorry if you felt my comments were overly negative in your direction. However, as Paul has said I just think we are just at cross purposes here and our differing outlooks don't have much common ground. Its rather like reading a discussion between a convinced tropicalist and siderealist. No amount of history, philosophy or comparative charts is going to convince the other side. Both of us clearly feel convinced by our own experiences.
Perhaps the deeper question for us both to contemplate is can two logically contradictory approaches be equally accurate? Our answer, whatever it might be, surely tells is something profound about the nature of astrology.
Waybread wrote:
Ouch, Mark. Oh, well. In either modern or traditional astrology, Aquarius is a fixed sign
I detect a fair degree of 'fixity' in your outlook too at times Waybread.
Waybread wrote:
My attitude on Uranus is that if it's not broken, don't fix it. I don't feel "reverential" or "hard wired" about it: after using Uranus for roughly 23 years in natal chart interpretations and their derivatives, I just think its Aquarius rulership works. So does Saturn. I am all for thought experiments in astrology-- but it is surprising what sorts of astrologers dislike having their traditions tampered with, is it not?
Yes I should have anticipated lots of modern astrologers would hardly welcome my ideas with open arms. In reality the thread wasn't really intended for those kind of astrologers. But my initial post was a provocative so I guess I should have expected to reap the whirlwind...
Waybread wrote:
I agree that we shouldn't adopt "whatever hunches [astrologers in the 1820s] grasped at." It would be OK to look at the past 60 years of astrological practice, however.
Look at it yes but automatically accept it? No as I see it. It seems to me astrology hasn't asked itself serious questions about the outer planets since before WWII. The demotion of Pluto to a dwarf planet and discovery of a host of Kuiper belt buddies surely necessitates some serious rethinking? I don't see why that cannot include looking at this from first principles.
Waybread wrote:
Think of it like a recipe. I don't know whether or not you enjoy baking, but inventing new sourdough recipes is one of my hobbies. Some recipes you can fool around with and still come up with terrific bread or cookies. Others (like my sourdough brownie experiment that just flopped) need a lot more attention to the structure of the original cookbook recipe that actually works before I modify it further. That original liquid-to-flour ratio may be essential, for example.
Waybread, Are you strongly Cancerian? lol
Waybread wrote:
Inventing new relationships in astrology seems sort of like that. Some recipes and ingredients lend themselves to creative re-interpretation and others only get worse with major modification.
Well I tend to agree. But I am thinking more about the abandonment of the traditional rulership and dignity system.....
Waybread wrote:
And why stop at the Big Three? We now have trans-Plutonians that are probably bigger than Pluto. I suspect that Eris (which is one of them) is a better match for Aries than Uranus, but I haven't done the research.
Eris has been in Aries for ages hasn't it? I don't check much I admit. I think the discovery of these new bodies is an excellent opportunity to re-evaluate the associations previously made. It seems to me all the Kuiper belt bodies may operate in a plutonic way.
Waybread wrote:
I gave a bunch of examples, peppered throughout this thread, of key words and thematic rulerships that I thought were Uranian. I didn't invent most of them. They include: sudden change, innovation, ideological and political revolutions, aviation, science, electricity, things futuristic, and scientific research.
Have you noticed the strong historical association between Uranus in Aries and revolutions and rebellions? How do you reconcile that fact with your existing views?
Waybread wrote:
The majority of these thematic rulerships either roughly coincide with the discovery of Uranus, or else relate to things that were only weakly developed prior to the discovery of Uranus. We could add to aviation the Montgolfier brothers' first manned balloon flight in 1783. In contrast, the Aries-Mars connection was around since Antiquity without airborn innovation.
As I said to Nixx this would be an interesting thread on its own. I have no desire to be drawn into that topic here as this thread is already ridiculously long.
Waybread wrote:
Scientific research and political ideologies seem very much like fixed air activities to me.
Ok. Again another thread another day I feel.
Waybread wrote:
Incidentally, I am not one of the modern astrologers who conflates signs and houses. This actually bothers me some. I can use Uranus as a valid ruler for Aquarius without somehow conflating them with the 11th house.
You may not be following this approach but this attitude is very common today. Hopefully, books like Deborah Houlding's
Houses, Temples of the Sky have done a lot to challenge such stereotypical thinking throughout the astrological community.
Waybread wrote:
Also, I don't see signs as important as aspects. I am mindful that most of our planets would move back about 24 (or 27) degrees if we switch from a tropical to a sidereal zodiac, yet Vedic astrologers still produce good results. The essential dignity system, nevertheless, is very much sign-based.
Well true but nearly every modern astrologer I have read relies just as heavily on the tropical zodiac and house rulers based on signs on the cusp. Its a valid point though. Newer techniques like midpoints or out of bounds planets are an interesting exception to this. I do look at out of bound planets and have been thinking of exploring midpoints more. I think declination is a much neglected topic.
Waybread wrote:
I don't do a lot of predictive work in astrology. (For someone who does, and who does all kinds of research in modern astrology using the modern outers, see:
www.aliceportman.com.) I wonder how well a planet symbolizing "sudden change" or unpredictability actually could work in forecasting events. If it did work, could it be Uranus?
Its not that I think Uranus isn't useful. It is. However, the outers tend to go back and forward over the same point several times by transit so accurate timing is tough. However, anyone that thinks
any kind of predictive astrology is easy is kidding themselves.
Mark