Sidereal-Tropical: Comparison of signs through history
Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 am
I'm moving the focus from my thread on the Traditional forum:
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 3&start=15
To this one at the request of Therese Hamilton:
If this is true this suggests that really there is only one 'real' zodiac, the sidereal one, and that tropical astrologers being ignorant of this have had to regularly alter the meanings of their signs in order to remain accurate. In other words rewrite their zodiac to match the sidereal one.
In addition I would be interested in hearing from any sidereal astrologers who disagree with this viewpoint, or finding out if this is a fairly common, if not unanimous, viewpoint amongst sidereal astrologers.
It might also be worth examining if sidereal signs have appeared to borrow from the tropical as well, with examples from Therese's website appearing to suggest this.
I'm interested primarily in western astrology here, so whilst I accept that jyotish astrology uses a sidereal zodiac, I'm less interested in their usage of the zodiac and more keen to narrow the focus to the history of western astrology.
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 3&start=15
To this one at the request of Therese Hamilton:
What I was interested in examining is the statement made by some sidereal astrologers, Therese amongst them, that the tropical signs have changed their meanings in line with precession.This particular historical point that interests you so much, Paul, is an acceptable topic for the sidereal forum. I suggest that the conversation be moved to that forum. I can give quotes from Gleadow's book, as he was the scholar who looked deeply into the ancient texts. A problem, of couse, is choosing the statements of tropical astrologers today. There are many books, web sites and authors, and they don't all agree with each other.
If this is true this suggests that really there is only one 'real' zodiac, the sidereal one, and that tropical astrologers being ignorant of this have had to regularly alter the meanings of their signs in order to remain accurate. In other words rewrite their zodiac to match the sidereal one.
In addition I would be interested in hearing from any sidereal astrologers who disagree with this viewpoint, or finding out if this is a fairly common, if not unanimous, viewpoint amongst sidereal astrologers.
It might also be worth examining if sidereal signs have appeared to borrow from the tropical as well, with examples from Therese's website appearing to suggest this.
I'm interested primarily in western astrology here, so whilst I accept that jyotish astrology uses a sidereal zodiac, I'm less interested in their usage of the zodiac and more keen to narrow the focus to the history of western astrology.