Should we be reserved in sharing astrological information?
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:54 am
This passage is from Steven Birchfield's article in the ISCA's blog, on the topic of longevity techniques.By numbering our days, we are made aware of the fact that our lives are truly like the grass of the field that is here today and gone tomorrow. For some people, this kind of information motivates humility and spurs loving actions to live one?s life fully in the service of others and God. For other people, it is a further excuse to ?live like hell? selfishly ? eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die! While I believe this knowledge is a gift of God, like everything in the world, it can be used for good or evil. Therefore, we do have to be very discriminate with this teaching. I still have to spend time in prayer seeking wisdom in how to share these kinds of things.
I sometimes ponder about whether it is right to expose a lot of astrological information to the public for free. As Birchfield mentioned above, the knowledge can be used for good or evil. Part of this contemplation was sparked by the prayers and disclaimers found in Maternus' and Valens' books. I believe that both authors discouraged the receivers of the books from freely sharing the information contained in it. This also reminds me a of a movie I watched, where the Internet, though very useful, when misused, can become an effective tool for libel or slander.
I am an explicit kind of person, so whenever I write something, I will include all the details I had in mind (well, aside from potentially sensitive information). Obviously, this would include providing quotes from ancient astrologers. Many people do that anyway, but I am really on the more extreme side. So...sometimes I wonder whether this can have dangerous consequences moving forward.
Some professional astrologers charge a rather hefty fee (from my personal perspective, but probably cuz I'm poor) for the information they provide. Part of this is of course, in order to support their own livelihoods, and considering the demand and supply of such expertise. But I am beginning to think that another major reason for this is to ward off people who may abuse the divine knowledge. (Note: I don't think these experts should lower their price, I am merely making an observation).
Of course, one can object by saying that, astrologers are just following what professionals do in other fields. A doctor's service isn't cheap, nor is a lawyer's fee a small amount. But I think it is especially relevant for our field, because we are occultists in the first place, known for hiding or obscuring information. Perhaps the reason is valid.
What are your thoughts on this, guys?
Note: I am not talking only about longevity techniques, but astrological information in general.